mardi 1 juillet 2014

A family affair for Nicolas Asselin Desbiens

A family affair, it's how Nicholas Asselin Desbiens talks about is way into music and events world. Since a decade, the man is appeal to play an important role is the family business who is famous for his involvement in culture.
Did you grow up in Montreal?
No, in fact, my family have property in eastern quebec where I grew up.
Did you study music?
No, not at all. In fact, I was most a political guy, as I studied in that field. But I always be aware about organizing shows and love music. That was my unknowing education in show business.
When someone says “that’s so Montreal!” what does that mean to you?
It’s hard to pinpoint what exactly Montreal culture is: it has many aspects to it. The fact that two great cultures can thrive side-by-side… when I was young I would watch Ed Sullivan and I would watch French TV shows from France as well. That really informed who I am and I think what Montreal is, too. The great mix of the two main cultures and the addition of so many immigrant groups makes for a very special cultural texture.
Where do you like hear live music in Montreal?
I go to concerts all the time. I still see between 300 and 400 concerts a year. My favourite concert hall in the city is Metropolis because I run it and it’s the best rock and roll hall in Canada. (laughs) Otherwise I like to go toThéâtre Corona Virgin Mobile, to the new Symphony hall. The Salle Bourgie inside the old church facing Musée des Beaux-Arts for me is a total jewel of new construction in the city. I must have seen about 20 concerts there already. And the Théâtre du Nouveau Monde. I’m not a big theatre buff but whenever there’s something that looks good there I make a point of going to see it because the theatre is so fantastic.
Is there a signature Montreal style when it comes to music?
No, it’s pretty diverse. On one side you have the whole Mile End indie scene. On the French side, you have the whole tradition of chansonniers, singer-songwriters, and rockers as well. But it’s very diversified. There’s no such thing as a Quebecois song. It’s hard to pinpoint Montreal culture; it’s the same with Quebecois music. It’s a synthesis of many things. 
Nicolas Asselin Desbiens is really into a family affair in the field of music!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire